Long-time readers of my blog may remember a post about the collective intelligence of imaginal cells, which was about how emergence is using certain cells in the caterpillar-turned-into-plasma for giving rise to the butterfly, and what that may mean for the evolutionary agents of social transformation. Now the “imaginal cells” metaphor itself transformed into “imaginal souls,” the main actors of an infinite game taking off in Silicon Valley and the San Francisco Bay Area, the birth place of so many cultural, technical, and social innovation. It is a brainchild of Bill Veltrop, a veteran of the organizational transformation movement, and social visionary extraordinaire. The essence of his new initiative, in his own words, is:
Current State — Isolated “Imaginal Souls”
There are thousands of commitment-ready infinite players (Distinctionary) on this planet. They are scattered throughout all sectors and geographies. For the most part they feel isolated and constrained. All have experience with “immune systems.”
Interim State — Connecting the Dots
Our strategy is simple: Using the Bay Area as our practice field, we find ways to “clump and cluster” in the service of spawning and supporting generative initiatives of all kinds in all sectors. As we weave a web of relationships among diverse allies we begin to realize, for the first time, that we are “something different from a caterpillar.”
Future State — “Houston, We Have Metamorphosis” Collectively, we begin spawning generative initiatives that are much more like butterflies than caterpillars. These initiatives “infect” our traditional institutions in ways that facilitate their natural evolution into forms that are dramatically more rewarding to all their stakeholders. Once we collectively begin to experience what’s possible in the Age of Conscious Evolution, it will become irreversible. Reverting to today’s traditional organizing forms will become as improbable as vacuum tubes making a comeback and displacing transistors.
What prompted my writing about Bill’s work, this morning, is the latest inspiring initiative of the Monterey Institute for Social Innovation (of which he is a co-founder), supported by the Silicon Valley Innovation Institute. At the April 6 SVII gathering Bill introduced “Regional Metamorphosis as a pragmatic strategy for accelerating our movement into an Age of Conscious Evolution.” There’s a video that captures the spirit of that evening and a shorter, edited-down version of it. They are the work of Jesse Clark and his colleagues.
The aim of the initiative’s first phase is to find qualified players ready to play the infinite game of Regional Metamorphosis. Here are the personal characteristics of those who qualify:
- You love to pioneer, push the envelope, explore outside your box, experiment with new ways of seeing and being. You are an “Innovator” or “Early Adopter.” You’re an avid learner and attracted by those who share your commitment to growth and development.
- You are undaunted by the challenges of high-altitude, big picture visioning, deep inner exploration, and acting with boldness and immediacy.
- You are successful in your work and your role as a leader. You’re intrigued with the notion that your success might be limiting what you believe to be possible, e.g., you sense a higher destiny lying beyond your current horizons.
- You consider personal inner work of primary significance to effective action as a leader, and want to spend time with those who share this commitment.
- You’re on a path—your journey “has you.” You’re convinced there’s a larger process at work, and you want to learn how best to flow with that process.
- You are intrigued by the notion of committing to a 10-100X shift in the lasting difference you make in the world.
- You see strengthening the quality of relationships and agreements as increasingly important in all aspects of your life.
- You are ready to do what it takes to bring balance and wholeness into your life—to embrace both your humanity and your sense of deep interconnectedness, to bring intention and attention into your emergence process.
- You’re ready to participate in a developmental adventure designed to support your journey “from where you are . . . to who you are.“
- You have a deep sense that you are not in this alone—that we’re all in this together. You are ready to evolve that special web of co-creative relationships that will support you in this next phase of our human journey.
If you feel you re a game-ready infinite players and want to get involved with the nascent “regional metamorphosis” movement get in touch with Bill Veltrop. If you happen to live in the San Francisco Bay Area or Silicon Valley, don’t miss their next meeting on May 10.
If you want to find out about some possible aspects of the relationship relationship between regional and planetary transformation, look up the corresponding category in this blog. For fans of collective intelligence, regional transformation is the next frontier. We know a lot about the emergence of collective intelligence in small groups and also, lots of theories on global-scale CI. Where the rubber hits the road, where actionable CI can reach the greatest results and multi-yield return on our investment of attention and energy, is the region. That’s why I call all CI fans to follow what is happening in the regional metamorphosis movement and support it in all imaginable ways.
Disclosure: Bill Veltrop has been one of the two most influential mentors of mine for the last 20 years. The other is Doug Engelbart, who inspired me to get on the journey of collective intelligence research. Bringing the insights from that journey to the infinite game of regional metamorphosis will be my small way to give thanks to both Doug and Bill.